An example of why I hate the web

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Mar 3 21:41:20 UTC 2020

On Tue, Mar 03, 2020 at 08:20:25PM +0000, matheus via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 3 March 2020 at 18:30:44 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
[...]
> > Currently I run my own mailserver, and I configured it to deliver
> > directly to my PC, and Mutt accesses the local mailbox directly.
> > Once I delete something, it's GONE.  For good.  I have full control
> > over what happens to my mail, and I get to decide what I do with it,
> > where it goes, and how it's stored.
>
> 2 questions:
>
> 1) Don't you have any problems with spam filters from other services?

Occasionally, but if you setup your MX records properly, it should work
fine.  Unless you're dealing with unreasonable services that blacklist
everything except gmail.com, hotmail.com, and yahoo.com, then you're
screwed. But then, if you have to deal with unreasonable services of
that sort, then you're *already* screwed in other ways.

> 2) It's a cloud service or your own server in your house? If the later
> how you manage reliability?

I have a 24/7 VPS that serves as an intermediate MX that forwards mail
to my home PC server.  The latter I usually leave running, but on the
occasion it goes down, the VPS server retains the mails and delivers
them when I come back up. No problem with reliability there.

> > This modern idiom of the server retaining all messages your behalf
> > is IMNSHO a b0rken model.
[...]
> Yes that's true, this model is really broken, but the problem is,
> having your own e-mail service may be target as spam for other
> services and need to be 24/7.
[...]

Usually all it takes is to setup proper SPF records on your domain, and
most services should work.

As for being 24/7, since I already use the VPS for other purposes (to
host websites, etc.), email is just another service tacked on top of
that.  The nice thing about this is having full control over what
software runs on my {website, email, etc.}.  Cost-wise it's not too bad,
considering how many things I can run on it.

English has the lovely word "defenestrate", meaning "to execute by throwing someone out a window", or more recently "to remove Windows from a computer and replace it with something useful". :-) -- John Cowan