D enters Tiobe top 20

Andre Pany andre at s-e-a-p.de
Sat Mar 7 08:27:04 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 7 March 2020 at 02:49:43 UTC, SrMordred wrote:
> On Friday, 6 March 2020 at 20:14:38 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
>> On Friday, 6 March 2020 at 16:37:08 UTC, SrMordred wrote:
>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> Easier C interop.
>>> I Love D but lots of times i start to think of returning to C.
>>> I don´t like having to manage bindings , I need something
>>> faster that I can just put my C headers there and make it
>>> work like I would in C. I love Atilla´s DPP work, but its not
>>> *there* yet.
>>>
>>> [snip]
>>
>> With respect to C interop specifically, what does dpp need to
>> be *there*?
>
> There are still somethings that fail to parse.(but thats a
> minor thing )
> But the "problem" i see is that is a separate project. I have
> to clone it, make a working executable (that had problems on
> windows on the first time that i tried , but it was solved),
> then make a dpp file (instead of just working with D files ).
> Not sure how it work with header only libs.
>
> Its not that we can´t do nice stuff with it, but this little
> frictions slowly build up, and u start to look for alternatives.
>
> And it feels like outside the realm of D.
> (where do a manage all this ? postScripts in dub files?,
> makefiles? caching? )
>
> I questioned a few days ago about an integration of dpp with
> dub that i heard last year (that can potentially decrease this
> friction ), but nobody answered me.

New dub features are usually implemented by the developers most
eager to have these features. That makes totally sense in my
opinion as these developers knows what they want, how they want
it and what they don't want

That said, I think it is not needed to enhance dub. Dub supports
a lightweight plugin feature: dependencies which makes use of
pre/post generateCommands. These commands are always executed.

This feature is not investigated in detail so far but someone can
try to make a DPP plugin and checks whether everything already
works, or some small dub enhancement is missing.

Kind regards
Andre