D enters Tiobe top 20

Claude claudemr at live.fr
Mon Mar 9 10:21:16 UTC 2020

On Friday, 6 March 2020 at 15:27:27 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> I'm surprised C is still on second place. What can we do to
> kill it really?

That does not surprise me, and I don't see C going anywhere in
the foreseeable future.

It's the common denominator between native languages like C++, D,
Rust etc. And it interfaces with assembly-language. For system
programming, it's the obvious language: easy to grasp and
powerful. However, it's obviously not as expressive as like C++,
that's true.

For example, Vulkan API is written in C, and it's a beautiful
API. If it had been written in C++ (or any other native
language), it would have been probably more expressive, but it
would have lost a lot in terms of efficiency.

Another advantage of C is that, as it's a smaller language, it's
easier to enforce a coherent coding-style for a community project.