What do you think about this Benchmark without D?

septc septcolor7 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 04:03:51 UTC 2020

On Monday, 9 March 2020 at 19:26:52 UTC, matheus wrote:
> There is this topic today on Reddit:
> https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Normalized-global-results-for-Energy-Time-and-Memory_tbl2_320436353
>
> And this site with results:
> https://sites.google.com/view/energy-efficiency-languages/results
>
> They tried 27 languages and no sign of D, aren't you concerned
> about this too?

I haven't read the article (so not sure about details), but isn't
the
comparison in the cited page inspired by the "benchmark game"
problems
and languages shown in the following site?

https://benchmarksgame-team.pages.debian.net/benchmarksgame/
https://benchmarksgame-team.pages.debian.net/benchmarksgame/description/summary.html

If so, I guess new languages appear in the website only when new
codes
are submitted for comparison (from users' side). So the situation
may be
not "other people not much interested in D", but rather
"D users are not much interested in such comparison (so no codes
submitted
yet)", e.g.

https://benchmarksgame-team.pages.debian.net/benchmarksgame/performance/mandelbrot.html

https://salsa.debian.org/benchmarksgame-team/benchmarksgame/blob/master/README.md
https://salsa.debian.org/benchmarksgame-team/benchmarksgame/issues?scope=all&utf8=%E2%9C%93&state=closed

# FWIW, I do not think the above "ranking" is very useful for
for determining fast languages in a practical sense, because the
codes
often utilize very low-level things (to gain maximum speed) and
so often
very ugly and not readable. The codes do not reflect the usual
coding style
in many cases, IMO. On the other hand, I feel it is interesting to
see how different languages are used for the same topic (e.g.
mandelbrot)
(so in a way similar to RosettaCode).
http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Rosetta_Code