D enters Tiobe top 20

SrMordred patric.dexheimer at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 04:14:33 UTC 2020

On Monday, 9 March 2020 at 12:27:34 UTC, FeepingCreature wrote:

> When I made my D-lite language Neat back in 2009ish, one of the
> things I was most proud of was the C interop. You could just
> write `import c.SDL` and it would go look for SDL.h, give it to
> gcc to preprocess, fish out defines, structs and function
> declarations and insert them all into a module. There was even
> magic glue that made the common case of "void foo_fun(FooState*
> state, int i)" callable as "state.fun(i)", with zero extra
> effort required. It was very slick when it worked :)

Thats really nice! Yeah, this kind of "no-effort-interop" is
something that allow people to change languages but keep libs old
codes to live on, therefore allowing them to keep working on the
new language(increasing user retention). I feel that is a
interesting thing for D to pursuit.

Out of curiosity, are u working with D or are working/exploring
other languages(or custom lang, maybe ) ?

I feel that the closest thing of your D-lite language C interop
that i know today is Zig.