D infrastructure: make/cmake -> Meson ?

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Tue Mar 17 18:14:50 UTC 2020

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 05:53:46PM +0000, Denis Feklushkin via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Will community accept PRs for switching build of druntime, Phobos,
> maybe DMD and maybe LDC from make/cmake to Meson build system?
[...]

The problem with replacement build systems is that everyone agrees that
`make` sux, but everyone has a different opinion about what's the best
replacement.  So while I applaud the effort to abandon make, unless you
can get unanimous agreement on which replacement build system to use,
it's probably not going to happen.  Unfortunately.

The fact that anyone still uses AOL shows that even the presence of options doesn't stop some people from picking the pessimal one. - Mike Ellis