Scientific computing using D

bachmeier no at spam.net
Tue Mar 17 18:16:17 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 17 March 2020 at 00:48:24 UTC, ahmat wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I use mainly Python for scientific computing and I want to
> switch to D but I can't find good libraries as replacement for
> pandas, matplotlib, scipy, ...
> Are there plans to make D better in this area?

Do you mean writing D libraries that do these things? Probably
not. That would take a lot of resources and would duplicate work
already done.

I've done a fair amount of this type of work myself, and IMO D is
great if you don't mind wrapping C libraries like GSL. That's
really all Python did in the beginning - it was just a glue
language. I don't find it all that time consuming due to D's
great interoperability with other languages, and I'm a lot more
productive in D than in those other languages. For me, the
cost-benefit analysis works out in favor of D.

If you want something polished, something that "just works",
you're better off using Julia. If you want to write libraries to
make D as convenient to use as Python, it will be welcome. Don't
hold your breath waiting for others to deliver something. I'd do
it if I had the time...