D infrastructure: make/cmake -> Meson ?

Denis Feklushkin feklushkin.denis at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 18:21:43 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 17 March 2020 at 18:14:50 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 05:53:46PM +0000, Denis Feklushkin via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> Will community accept PRs for switching build of druntime,
>> Phobos, maybe DMD and maybe LDC from make/cmake to Meson build
>> system?
> [...]
>
> The problem with replacement build systems is that everyone
> agrees that `make` sux, but everyone has a different opinion
> about what's the best replacement.  So while I applaud the
> effort to abandon make, unless you can get unanimous agreement
> on which replacement build system to use, it's probably not
> going to happen.  Unfortunately.

Strictly, Meson can use make to build, so, make will be
presented, but its role will be decreased.

The current situation with make is dead end: everyone sees that
there is a lot of copy-pasted code inside of make scripts, but no
one wants to deal with it. I believe that this suggests that it
is time to get rid of make.

Against cmake community "voted": if we would have liked cmake it
would already have been merged from LDC branches.