Scientific computing using D

bachmeier no at spam.net
Tue Mar 17 19:36:42 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 17 March 2020 at 18:57:33 UTC, Ahmat wrote:

> D is great for wrapping C libraries but many python libraries
> are binding of C++. How is the status of interoperability
> between D and C++ ?

Getting better, but I don't use it. There's actually a "backdoor"
to C++ numerical computing libraries that I use. Many C++
libraries can be called from R, but the R interface is nothing
more than a C interface that can be called directly from D, and
doesn't actually involve R in any way. So for scientific
computing, I'd say it's pretty darn good.

> I think Julia is fast and one doesn’t need numpy and others
> libraries to write high performance. It’s gaining users in
> Academia and research even in deep learning.

Well, it has something D doesn't: manpower. Although I prefer D,
there's certainly nothing wrong with Julia. I plan to work on
calling Julia from D when I have a reason to do so.