D infrastructure: make/cmake -> Meson ?

Mathias Lang pro.mathias.lang at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 05:01:24 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 17 March 2020 at 17:53:46 UTC, Denis Feklushkin wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Will community accept PRs for switching build of druntime,
> Phobos, maybe DMD and maybe LDC from make/cmake to Meson build
> system?
>
> An important condition: current build system should be
> abandoned immediately after sucessful testing of new build
> system. This should not be a parallel existence of several
> build systems, because it will not give any advantages but will
> strengthen disadvantages.
>
> Related:
> https://forum.dlang.org/post/oyuxvperqmddgndvmlyx@forum.dlang.org

The community has put a lot of effort over the year to transition
to `build.d` and friends. While it originally felt very NIH, it
works and the situation is much better than it used to be, so I
came to like it more and more. We actually ended up doing the
same thing in dub a few months ago
(https://github.com/dlang/dub/commit/3115922a933b7a00a85e112d1ebb18529f3919cb), and when it comes to cross-platform, it felt like a big step up. To me it seems like the contributors have already voted on this way.

Also abandoning the current build system *immediately* is out of
the question. There is too much out there that depends on it.
Packages, digger, other kind of tools. It's just a big nuisance
for everyone involved. The benefit of switching to a (allegedly)
better build system would be dwarfed by the amount of breakage
it'd cause.