Any guides on debugging DMD crash?

DanielG simpletangent at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 16:11:40 UTC 2020

On Monday, 23 March 2020 at 00:17:48 UTC, Arine wrote:
> You'll probably have better luck using LDC2, which has a tried
> and proven backend LLVM. It doesn't compile as fast, but I find
> the few seconds is worth the trade off of not having to deal
> with as many compiler bugs like the one you've found here.

How common is this sentiment among D developers?

I've been patiently waiting for a dustmite reduction over the
last few days, trying to be a good citizen and produce a bug
report for something that has been preventing me from using DMD
for months now. Actually it's my 2nd DMD-blocking bug, but the
previous one was only stopping Mac/Linux, now I'm limited to LDC2
on all 3 platforms.

I would love for my code to be compatible with all D compilers,
and have the speed benefit of prototyping with DMD for myself,
but I'm not too keen on becoming a compiler spelunker given all
the other claims on my time. (For what it's worth I'm not doing
anything fancy or esoteric - just bad luck, I guess)

So I'm curious if other devs doggedly pursue DMD bugs until they
are fixed, or if they just throw their hands up and use LDC2. My
deeper fear is that someday I'm going to hit a frontend bug and
won't have the skills or capital to get it solved :(