Any guides on debugging DMD crash?

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Tue Mar 24 22:20:08 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 24 March 2020 at 16:11:40 UTC, DanielG wrote:
> On Monday, 23 March 2020 at 00:17:48 UTC, Arine wrote:
>> You'll probably have better luck using LDC2, which has a tried
>> and proven backend LLVM. It doesn't compile as fast, but I
>> find the few seconds is worth the trade off of not having to
>> deal with as many compiler bugs like the one you've found here.
>
> How common is this sentiment among D developers?

There's virtually no reason to use DMD and I don't think anyone
is using it seriously anymore in production. A lot of the
companies switched to LDC over the last years.
A good example: the Debian/Ubuntu D maintainers didn't even
bother creating a package for DMD (even though it's fully open
source for more than two years now) as you want to use GDC or LDC
to compile libraries or applications anyhow.

The only real reason why DMD is still the "reference compiler"
and "officially recommended" is that Walter is in charge and DMD
is his life work.