Discussion Thread: DIP 1028--Make @safe the Default--Final Review

Jonathan Marler johnnymarler at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 17:53:41 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 25 March 2020 at 07:02:32 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> This is the discussion thread for the Final Review of DIP 1028,
> "Make @safe the Default":
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/5afe088809bed47e45e14c9a90d7e78910ac4054/DIPs/DIP1028.md
>
> The review period will end at 11:59 PM ET on April 8, or when I
> make a post declaring it complete. Discussion in this thread
> may continue beyond that point.
>
> Here in the discussion thread, you are free to discuss anything
> and everything related to the DIP. Express your support or
> opposition, debate alternatives, argue the merits, etc.
>
> However, if you have any specific feedback on how to improve
> the proposal itself, then please post it in the feedback
> thread. The feedback thread will be the source for the review
> summary I write at the end of this review round. I will post a
> link to that thread immediately following this post. Just be
> sure to read and understand the Reviewer Guidelines before
> posting there:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/docs/guidelines-reviewers.md
>
> And my blog post on the difference between the Discussion and
> Feedback threads:
>
> https://dlang.org/blog/2020/01/26/dip-reviews-discussion-vs-feedback/
>
> Please stay on topic here. I will delete posts that are
> completely off-topic.

Never thought D would actually do this.  I'm on the fence as to
whether this is a good idea.  However, with all the D code I've
written that would break from this I'd prefer not to do this;
that is, unless the people who want this feature are willing to
go through hundreds of thousands of lines of D code that I've
written and fix it :)  Looks like I've got I've got 79 repos on
github with D in them (although some are just forks and some are
private).

https://github.com/marler8997?tab=repositories&q=&type=&language=d