Discussion Thread: DIP 1028--Make @safe the Default--Final Review

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Mar 26 03:02:59 UTC 2020

On 3/25/2020 10:34 AM, bachmeier wrote:
> To be perfectly honest, I can't imagine D being a sensible option for someone
> wanting to work heavily with C code if you have to add pointless annotations and
> constantly deal with compiler errors. It's not a matter of annoyance, it's
> simply impractical to add that kind of overhead, particularly if someone else is
> involved.

As someone who has converted a great deal of C code to D, I was more than
satisfied with the results. Very few annotations were needed, and the ones that
were improved the self-documenting clarity of the code.

Needing an @system annotation on your code should be rare, and it is certainly
not pointless.

 > If you're using C, you're well aware that it's not going to be safe.

It's very possible to write safe C code by writing in "D style". Of course, the
C compiler won't check that. That's where DasBetterC comes in!