Discussion Thread: DIP 1028--Make @safe the Default--Final Review

Jonathan Marler johnnymarler at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 06:43:43 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 26 March 2020 at 05:16:23 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 3/25/2020 9:35 PM, Jonathan Marler wrote:
>> I assume there's a command-line switch to enable it so I could
>> see for myself?
>
> https://github.com/dlang/dmd/pull/10709/files#diff-8248195efc96675f6bf930674f8fcf6eR744

Hmmm, unfortunately the first project I tried it on exposed a
compiler bug.  I've seen this bug before in recent compilers.
Symbols for certain templates aren't getting emitted.

That being said, I ran it on a few projects and didn't find a
single issue.  However, I'm pretty sure I was compiling unsafe
code a none of my code is tagged with @safe/@system/@trusted.  I
was compiling my custom druntime/standard library and rootfs
which contains assembly and all sorts of crazy stuff. There might
be a bug in your PR?  I rebased it and I've pushed the rebased
version I compiled here:
https://github.com/marler8997/dmd/tree/safeDefaultRebased

NOTE: I rebased it so I could use druntime/phobos off of master
so I wouldn't have to cross-reference which versions of those
repos to use to get everything working