Discussion Thread: DIP 1028--Make @safe the Default--Final Review

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Thu Mar 26 14:40:37 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 26 March 2020 at 14:12:24 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> [snip]
> And in actuality, most D code is @safe, so for most D code out
> there, this is not going to be a huge problem. You will have to
> mark few things. Wrappers/bindings for C libraries are going to
> be an exception, and that's just the pain we have to deal with.
> Either use trusted markings to make everything safe (after
> verification), or just punt to the user.

There is a lot of functionality that depends on C libraries. For
instance, every or almost every function in lubeck calls at least
one C function. If someone comes to D from python and wants to
replace something from numpy/scipy with a lubeck equivalent, they
will need to start slapping @trusted or @system on everything.
That means they will need to understand the safety system and why
stuff like that matters. For some people, that may be a big
enough burden that they just throw up their hands and keep using
python.