Discussion Thread: DIP 1028--Make @safe the Default--Final Review

Mathias Lang pro.mathias.lang at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 09:40:04 UTC 2020

On Friday, 27 March 2020 at 09:07:01 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

> Making @safe the default will substantially reduce this problem
> for the simple reason that the vast bulk of code should be
> @safe.

I've been repeating for a while now that this is simply not true.
It was the very point (and last sentence) in my previous message:
> At the moment, all this is doing is ignoring the problem and
> pushing the complexity from one demographic to the other.

Changing the default makes it "easier" to deal with `@safe` by
making it harder to deal with `@system`. How is that an
improvement?

> BTW, I have an upcoming DIP that changes the default attributes
> for delegate parameter types to match the function they appear
> in.

I already gave it [a lengthy
review](https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/pull/170#pullrequestreview-294073723).