Is it time for D 3.0?

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 19:08:51 UTC 2020

On 3/27/20 2:33 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Further thoughts on this:

Yeah, I just listed things that have had roadblocks that could be
alleviated by saying it's a new major language version.

Certainly I would consider Phobos part of the language at the moment. In
D3, it could be separate if needed.

Note that I don't think we need DRASTIC changes to the language. I don't
think we need to rename it or change core things. But we could just free
up some of the roadblocks so we can break some eggs here.

Probably there are some more things that make sense for a breaking
change. Exceptions might be redone as well. Maybe review keyword
usage/consistency. DIP1000 features might work better as a type
constructor. Etc.

-Steve