Discussion Thread: DIP 1028--Make @safe the Default--Final Review

Arine arine123445128843 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 13:53:28 UTC 2020

On Friday, 27 March 2020 at 09:26:35 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 3/26/2020 10:00 AM, jmh530 wrote:
>> I was talking about a hypothetical python person thinking
>> about learning D, not about me personally.
>
> Consider how the Rust folk have been successful at getting
> people to entirely re-engineer their programs and data
> structures and learn an entirely different language to get a
> small increment in memory safety.
>
> Rust's marketing department is very good.

It's not marketing. They created a solution to a problem no one
else has been able to. Trying the language, and it solving your
problems and then continuing to use the language afterwards isn't
marketing. It is a completely refined package all the way down to
it's package manager.

It's not just memory safety. Have you used Rust? How you written
Rust? Have you had to deal with a new version of Rust that breaks
all your code? Have you used cargo? Have you used a cargo package
that uses a different version of Rust that you use and it just
works TM?

Rust is memory safe, but to attribute its success entirely on
that is moronic. A GC is memory safe, do you think Rust would
have been as successful with a GC? Rust provides more guarantees
than simply being memory safe. Something a GC doesn't provide.