Is it time for D 3.0?

Denis Feklushkin feklushkin.denis at gmail.com
Sat Mar 28 17:09:34 UTC 2020

On Friday, 27 March 2020 at 15:56:40 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> There have been a lot of this pattern happening:
>
> 1. We need to add feature X, to fix problem Y.
> 2. This will break ALL CODE IN EXISTENCE
> 3. OK, cancel the fix, we'll just live with it.
>
> Having a new branch of the compiler will provide a way to keep
> D2 development alive while giving a playground to add new
> mechanisms, fix long-existing design issues, and provide an
> opt-in for code breakage.
>
> Some issues I can think of:

I have long wanted to offer but there was no suitable place. I
would like to propose to trivial rename standart type names by
this way:

int -> int32
ulong -> uint64
float -> float32
double -> float64
byte -> octet

Reason:

Most developers no longer remember where these names came from
and why it are so called. In the future this number will close to
100%. And soon we will have access to all sorts of non-standard
FPGA implemented CPUs with a different byte size, for example.

(It will also break existing code very reliably and it will be
difficult to confuse up code of different Dlang versions.)