Is it time for D 3.0?

NaN divide at by.zero
Sun Mar 29 00:19:57 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 28 March 2020 at 21:38:00 UTC, Denis Feklushkin
wrote:
> On Saturday, 28 March 2020 at 19:50:44 UTC, NaN wrote:
>

>> Dont design based on imaginings of the future, you will almost
>> always get it wrong.
>
> This is almost already reality, not future.

I was responding to your statement regarding FPGAs. If they
become ubiquitous, and if people want to use D to program them,
and if someone does the work to make it happen, then maybe
different width basic types *might* be needed.

> Just make survey around your friends/collegues about: what is a
> byte? Then compare with wikipedia/dictionary/RFC/etc
> definition. You will be very surprised.
>
> Already, it is difficult for a beginner to explain why the
> double is 64 bits. And if it is double from integer why integer
> is 32. I think it is no need to spend time by explaining whole
> IT history.

I'm struggling to understand why anyone would find it either hard
to understand or difficult to explain...

float is a 32 bit floating point number
double is a 64 bit floating point number

Lets be honest, if that is causing you problems then you probably
need to reconsider your career path.