Is it time for D 3.0?

NaN divide at by.zero
Sun Mar 29 01:21:25 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 29 March 2020 at 00:48:15 UTC, krzaq wrote:
> On Sunday, 29 March 2020 at 00:19:57 UTC, NaN wrote:
>> On Saturday, 28 March 2020 at 21:38:00 UTC, Denis Feklushkin
>> wrote:
>>> On Saturday, 28 March 2020 at 19:50:44 UTC, NaN wrote:
>> float is a 32 bit floating point number
>> double is a 64 bit floating point number
>>
>> Lets be honest, if that is causing you problems then you
>> probably need to reconsider your career path.
>
> It's not hard to understand. It's pointless memorization
> though, as those names and their binding to sizes are based on
> implementation details of processors from the *previous
> millenium*.

Firstly either way you have to remember something, u16 or short.
So there's memorization whatever way you slice it.

Secondly those processors from the last millennium are still the
dominant processors of this millennium.

> Programming languages should aim to lower the cognitive load of
> their programmers, not the opposite.

I agree, but this is so irrelevant it's laughable.

> To paraphrase your agument:
> A mile is 1760 yards
> A yard is 3 feet
> A foot is 12 inches
> What's so hard to understand? If that is causing you problems
> then you probably need to reconsider your career path.

If your job requires you to work in inches, feet and yards every
single day then yes you should know that off the top of your head
and you shouldn't even have to try.

And if you find it difficult then yes you should reconsider your
career path. If you struggle with basic arithmetic then you
shouldn't really be looking at a career in engineering.