Is it time for D 3.0?

Denis Feklushkin feklushkin.denis at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 03:52:38 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 29 March 2020 at 00:58:12 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Saturday, 28 March 2020 at 21:38:00 UTC, Denis Feklushkin
> wrote:
> [...]
>> Just make survey around your friends/collegues about: what is
>> a byte? Then compare with wikipedia/dictionary/RFC/etc
>> definition. You will be very surprised.
> [...]
>
> The Wikipedia article clearly states that definitions of "byte"
> other than 8 bits are *historical*, and that practically all
> modern hardware has standardized on the 8-bit byte.  I don't
> understand why this is even in dispute in the first place.

Just because there are very few general-purpose processors for
now.

It's like the idea of ​​making variables thread local by default.
This does not make sense for now, but in the near future it can
be an advantage.

And for example, most of newfangled neuroprocessors use a small
size of float to represent synapses.

Isn't it better to stick with the right names initially?

> Frankly, it smells like just a red herring.

I am surprised that this small proposal caused such response.