Is it time for D 3.0?

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Mar 29 09:47:15 UTC 2020

On Sat, 2020-03-28 at 11:01 +0000, Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> […]
>
> Groovy isn't properly a good exemple.

I see no reason why it isn't, it is an evolving language following the
semantc versioning model.

> If it wasn't for Gradle and its use in Android, it would be long
> gone and forgotten.

In you opinion. The evidence I see is that Groovy has more traction in
Java sites than is immediately apparent. Clearly Kotlin is challenging
the role of Groovy in many respects, but Groovy is still used by many
orgsanisation fro dynamic programing. The analogy is where C++
codebases use Python or Lua.

> And even there, there is a big pressure to replace it with
> Kotlin, in what regards Android build infrastructure.

Kotlin rather than Groovy is the language of choice on the Android
platform these days certainly, but there are a lot of JVM installation
out there using Java, Kotlin, and Groovy – not to mention Scala,
Clojure, etc. – all going along happily. Yes there are a lot of those
installations that will only use Java.

> So is the fate of any guest language until the main platform
> language catches up.

Java can never catch up with Groovy, whereas is can catch up with
Kotlin. Kotlin is the guest language you are talking of for most Java
installation, not Groovy. Statis Groovy may be a dead thing, but
Dynamic Groovy is far from dead.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200