Is it time for D 3.0?

Arine arine123445128843 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 14:01:38 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 29 March 2020 at 13:34:44 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> On 3/28/20 1:09 PM, Denis Feklushkin wrote:
>> On Friday, 27 March 2020 at 15:56:40 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
>> wrote:
>>> There have been a lot of this pattern happening:
>>>
>>> 1. We need to add feature X, to fix problem Y.
>>> 2. This will break ALL CODE IN EXISTENCE
>>> 3. OK, cancel the fix, we'll just live with it.
>>>
>>> Having a new branch of the compiler will provide a way to
>>> keep D2 development alive while giving a playground to add
>>> new mechanisms, fix long-existing design issues, and provide
>>> an opt-in for code breakage.
>>>
>>> Some issues I can think of:
>>
>> I have long wanted to offer but there was no suitable place. I
>> would like to propose to trivial rename standart type names by
>> this way:
>>
>> int -> int32
>> ulong -> uint64
>> float -> float32
>> double -> float64
>> byte -> octet
>
> I would say no, for 2 reasons. One, this is basically renaming
> without benefit. All those types are well defined, and there is
> no problem with sizing. Two, you can already do this with
> aliases if this is what you wish for.

What about "real"? It is not defined. On x86 it means the old
deprecated 80-bit float (that nobody should use). And on ARM it
means 128-bit float. The worse part is, at least last I checked,
Phobos only implements some functions only for real.