[OT] Re: Groovy [was Is it time for D 3.0?]

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sun Mar 29 15:26:37 UTC 2020

On Sun, 2020-03-29 at 12:00 +0000, Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[…]

> The times that Groovy made any headlines in German Java
> conferences or local JUGs are long gone, I wonder where Groovy is
> being used above a single digit usage market share on the Java
> platform.

As with TIOBE Index, headlines are meaningless regarding traction.

Groovy is not a programming language with massive traction, but it has
quite a lot, mostly it just happens quietly. Gradle is one use of
Groovy, but so is Grails, and now Micronaut. Indeed many just use
Groovy directly. See the list of users on
https://groovy-lang.org/index.html

> I was quite surprised that Groovy actually managed to release the
> 3.0 version.

You weren't tracking Groovy seriously then. Groovy 3.0 was always going
to happen. Now if you challege whether Groovy 4.0 will happen that is a
wholly different situation.

> It is not my opinion, rather what any Java market analysis report
> will easily confirm.

That just confirms a Java bias of Java journalists.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200