Is it time for D 3.0?

Mathias Lang pro.mathias.lang at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 19:01:18 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 29 March 2020 at 18:24:33 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> On Friday, 27 March 2020 at 15:56:40 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
> wrote:
>> There have been a lot of this pattern happening:
>>
>> 1. The safe by default debate
>> 2. pure by default
>> 3. nothrow by default
>> 4. String interpolation DIP
>> 5. auto-decoding
>> 6. range.save
>> 7. virtual by default
>> 8. ProtoObject
>>

> Let's go back to the original question.
>
> If we going to go to D3, then we need a proper project plan so
> that people know what they are supposed to implement. That
> means that someone needs to decide what to implement. As the D
> community works today with DIPs which will yield a dozen
> different opinions, it will be impossible to even plan D3. It
> will take several years before even implementation will begin.
> In this case the outside opinions must be limited if you going
> to decide anything at all.
>
> I can see in front of me that D3 will be a huge project if we
> also going to clean up the libraries, druntime, proper pay as
> you go and so on.
>
> First question is, do we have the resources for such a project?
> Do we have a good management model for such project?
> Who will decide what to include in the project?
> Who will write down everything that needs to be done?

The problem is not whether or not we need to come up with a list
of things to implement. The problem is, who will implement it ?
And the answer has always been, those who care, those who will
use it, or Walter.

We have a lot of features in the pipeline. Just do `dmd
-preview=?`.  But they are unfinished, and aren't getting
activated. We have to get those through the door, first.