Is it time for D 3.0?

Denis Feklushkin feklushkin.denis at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 05:51:25 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 29 March 2020 at 13:34:44 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> On 3/28/20 1:09 PM, Denis Feklushkin wrote:

>> int -> int32
>> ulong -> uint64
>> float -> float32
>> double -> float64
>> byte -> octet
>
> I would say no, for 2 reasons. One, this is basically renaming
> without benefit.

My second proposal is remove auto casting to int while
calculations:
int8 * int8 == int16 (not int32)

Sometimes it causes unncessary casts. Intuitively it seems that
it is uneconomical and possibly spoils superscalarity.

Perhaps this from those ancient times when compatibility D with C
was declared at source level? (Or am I confusing and there was no
such period?)