Is it time for D 3.0?

rikki cattermole rikki at cattermole.co.nz
Mon Mar 30 06:19:47 UTC 2020

On 30/03/2020 7:12 PM, Denis Feklushkin wrote:
> On Monday, 30 March 2020 at 05:54:55 UTC, rikki cattermole wrote:
>
>>> Perhaps this from those ancient times when compatibility D with C was
>>> declared at source level? (Or am I confusing and there was no such
>>> period?)
>>
>> C integer promotion is a feature, it is not going anywhere.
>
> I remember exactly that this has already been discussed here and your
> point of view won. I can’t just find. Well, okay.

Short answer: it is too late to change it.

Long answer: all options are fairly opinionated and arbitrary.

There is no right answer.

Whatever option you go with, you will have cases where you will want to
cast to a more appropriate type.

With the C promotion rules at least, most C family developers should be
able to understand them and they will "just work" including when they
are porting code from other languages.