Is it time for D 3.0?

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 10:15:17 UTC 2020

On Friday, 27 March 2020 at 15:56:40 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> We could also not plan for many major releases, but at least
> move to D3 for some major TLC to the language that is held back
> to prevent breakage.

I've got a feeling that major problem with significant changes
isn't social, but the technological infrastructure. You can only
evolve a code-base so far, at some point it becomes more
efficient to start over from scratch.

> I work occasionally with Swift, and they move very fast, and
> break a lot of stuff, but only in major versions. It's a bit
> fast for my taste, but it seems to work for them.

It works for them because of the app-market, and Swift is the
only reasonable option next to Objective-C++ (and in some cases
Dart).  Because Swift changes so much (and does not perform all
that well), I am currently more inclined to use Objective-C++ for
my own OS-X project.

I agree though that it helps with major versions, if the vendor
is keeping the older versions alive as with Python 2. I am still
running Python 2, an update is too costly, not worth it.

Same issue with Angular, they sometimes remove stuff for which
there is a replacement, but it can still take a lot of time to
make the transition.

Go1 and C++ on the other hand have very little breakage, even if
they evolve.

> The biggest drawback is that we aren't a huge language, with
> lots of manpower to keep x branches going at once.

Actually, I think the biggest drawback is that you probably
should start with a clean slate implementation if you intend to
make major changes.