Is it time for D 3.0?

Paolo Invernizzi paolo.invernizzi at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 11:02:31 UTC 2020

On Monday, 30 March 2020 at 01:14:06 UTC, Steven Schveighoffer
wrote:
> On 3/29/20 9:02 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Good points, but I think that we are currently suffering from a
> different problem -- people want to, and do, implement these
> things, only to be told no, sorry we want it but we can't use
> it, because it breaks things. I listed several things that have
> been implemented but were rejected (or merged and reverted).
> Some of them even by the creator and BDFL of the language. Some
> other things are just wholesale changes to the library that
> implementing them is just not going to happen without some
> significant buy-in from the community and leaders.
>
> On top of that, people who may want to implement things are gun
> shy after seeing language changes get shot down left and right.
>
> Yes, we also still need leadership to approve and agree that X
> should be implemented. But right now, even they say X should be
> implemented, but we just can't without breaking "everything".
>
> What we need is a place for that answer to be yes instead. If
> not D3.0, I don't know what is the correct path for such things.
>
> -Steve

Hey, I'm still waiting for leadership feedback for _adding_ and
not _changing_ a Phobos method: adding @nogc to socket receive!

What's the _policy_ in evolving _obsoleted_ modules? One year and
an half of ... fog ...

:-P

The canary in the mine ... no pun intended!