Discussion Thread: DIP 1028--Make @safe the Default--Final Review

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 18:12:03 UTC 2020

On 3/30/20 1:24 PM, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 30.03.20 18:50, Atila Neves wrote:
>>

>> On Monday, 30 March 2020 at 15:49:55 UTC, Arine wrote:
>>> Anyways, here's a good example of where GC failed to meet their
>>> requirements,
>>
>> Cases like this happen, but more often than not it's just, like, their
>> opinion man.
>
> They were moving from _Go_ to Rust. The GC-related issue they were
> having seems as good an excuse as any to justify the move. :)

Ya, I have not used go, but I would suspect that some of these issues
have mechanisms to mitigate GC problems in D.

Sociomantic avoids unpredictable GC cycles, but doesn't disable it (they
still allow collections periodically IIRC). And they are built to be as
fast as possible.

That doesn't mean D would beat Rust in a competition on who makes the
best discord software. It really depends on a lot of factors, and I
don't think generalizing Go and D to be the same because they both have
a GC is fair or accurate.

-Steve