Is it time for D 3.0?

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Mon Mar 30 22:46:21 UTC 2020

On Monday, 30 March 2020 at 22:34:32 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> Hmm.  Wouldn't this be a problem if changing .receive to @nogc
> break existing code that inherits from Socket?

It technically breaks but it is a trivial fix, I'd be generally
OK telling people to deal with it. But if someone has a case
where it isn't trivial, well, we'd have to see why.

Some D classes in the past have done it by adding a new method
with _nothrow or _nogc or whatever then deprecating the old. Or
you could make a new subclass that tightens it there. There's
various solutions but I don't think we even really need to worry
- in practice it is all @nogc anyway at least in my experience.