[OT] @grammar

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Tue Mar 31 00:43:35 UTC 2020

On Monday, March 30, 2020 6:31:35 PM MDT Ali Çehreli via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> > at-safe and not safe, since it's
> > @safe, not safe. And that's how I would refer to it in any verbal
> > conversation.
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> Same here.
>
> While we're off-topic, let's talk about what scratches my ears most: “an
> his­toric event”. Nooo! :) My Turkishness requires sounding that 'h'
> well, so it should be "a historic event". :)

Well, that stems from how it _used_ to not have the h sound (coming from the
French word, histoire, which has no h sound), but yeah, given that history
is definitely pronounced with an h in modern English, it should definitely
be "a" history/historic/etc. and not "an" history/historic/etc. now. Some
schools may still teach "an history" though. It can take a while for some of
that stuff to shift.

- Jonathan M Davis