Discussion Thread: DIP 1028--Make @safe the Default--Final Review

Paolo Invernizzi paolo.invernizzi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 09:19:49 UTC 2020

On Monday, 30 March 2020 at 17:24:44 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> On 30.03.20 18:50, Atila Neves wrote:
>>

>> On Monday, 30 March 2020 at 15:49:55 UTC, Arine wrote:
>>> Anyways, here's a good example of where GC failed to meet
>>> their requirements,
>>
>> Cases like this happen, but more often than not it's just,
>> like, their opinion man.
>
> They were moving from _Go_ to Rust. The GC-related issue they
> were having seems as good an excuse as any to justify the move.
> :)

Reading the comments, lot of them are related to the fact that
they switched in May 2019 from go 1.9 to rust _nightly_, while,
for example Go 1.12 was released in Feb 2019.

They updated the notes saying that they tested 1.10 without
noticing any improvements ... folks asks for comparison against
1.13 at least ...

Well, knowing how much work was done in improving the GC
performance in go in the latest releases, I think Timon is right!