First life-signs of type functions

Max Samukha maxsamukha at gmail.com
Tue May 12 20:19:50 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 12 May 2020 at 15:42:03 UTC, Stefan Koch wrote:
that we can pass to an alias template parameter.

> Which name does "Foo" have?

Any unique identifier that would distinguish it from other
symbols and literals? Give it the name of Alias!"Foo"?

Currently, this fails:

static assert(__traits(isSame, Alias!"Foo", "Foo"));
Error: static assert:  __traits(isSame, "Foo", "Foo") is false

The language is desperately trying to do the right thing but
fails.

> There is a good reason for separating Symbols and literals.

I think there is not, just as there is no good reason for
separating built-in and user-defined types.