Discussion Thread: DIP 1030--Named Arguments--Final Review

12345swordy alexanderheistermann at gmail.com
Tue May 12 21:03:34 UTC 2020

On Tuesday, 12 May 2020 at 18:57:25 UTC, jmh530 wrote:
> On Monday, 11 May 2020 at 11:37:07 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>> [...]
>
> I think the arguments brought on in the previous review with
> respect to the API remain a concern. The feedback notes this
> issue, but in response the DIP author notes that if a parameter
> is not found then it is an error. Of course, this is the whole
> issue. Someone can change
> void foo(int x, int y, int z) {}
> void foo(int x, int a, int b) {}
> and user code that relies on calling foo with keywords for y
> and z will break. I think this also connects with the feedback
> that the feature should be opt-in.
>
> [...]

If the user uses named arguments then that is by definition
opt-in. It makes no  sense for the developer to opt-in for named
arguments as well.

I had already made my case regarding the "opt-in" part of the
discussion, by pointing out that c# has named arguments by
default and you can't opt out of it.

-Alex