Discussion Thread: DIP 1030--Named Arguments--Final Review

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Thu May 14 13:04:32 UTC 2020

On 5/14/20 1:19 AM, Walter Bright wrote:
>> On 5/13/20 3:30 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
>>> In D, we do:
>>>     void copy(string, string destination);
>> And how does the implementation of copy use that first parameter?
>
> ----- test.di -----
> void copy(string, string destination);
>
> ----- test.d ------
> void copy(string src, string destination)
> {
> }

Not possible for templates.

Also, an answer like "just use a .di file" is going to be a really hard
pill to swallow.

I think a mechanism to prevent one from using the name of a specific
parameter for a call would be much more appreciated. Either parameters
of a specific pattern, or make official the usage of implicit parameter
names (i.e. _param_0)

-Steve