Discussion Thread: DIP 1030--Named Arguments--Final Review

Panke tobias at pankrath.net
Thu May 14 19:36:18 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 18:59:03 UTC, Arvine wrote:
> On Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 05:57:15 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> Besides, if you really don't want your users to use the
>> parameter names,
>>
>>     int foo(int _dkfjjiufheuehgthu, long
>> _yer_mother_was_a_hamster, double
>> _I_did_not_read_the_documentation);
>>
>> and I bet they'll get the message.
>
> I can't tell if this is a joke or not.
>
> If that is your solution instead of adding a feature to disable
> named parameters on particular functions. Then please
> incorporate it into the DIP under "best practices" :).

Personally and with regard to my experience with python I don't
think we need a way to disable named parameters. However forcing
specific parameters to be used by name, is something I find
useful.

If we really cannot live without an opt-out, please use a prefix
like '_' (which has a lot of precedence to mean private) and not
a function parameter attribute.