WebAssembly as a platform for abstraction

Sebastiaan Koppe mail at skoppe.eu
Fri May 15 10:25:21 UTC 2020

On Friday, 15 May 2020 at 10:05:02 UTC, Joseph Rushton Wakeling
wrote:
> Came across this interesting article recently about how WASM
> can be used to make it easy for users to add their own
> application logic:
> http://adventures.michaelfbryan.com/posts/wasm-as-a-platform-for-abstraction/
>
> ... and hard not to think in this context of John Colvin's
> prescient remarks about the importance of WebAssembly from way
> back in 2015:
> https://forum.dlang.org/post/tnzujgocuuvmkdqdsjmm@forum.dlang.org
>
> It's arguably a bit late by now to be "catching a wave", but
> what's the current state of the art in D's WebAsssembly
> support?  And does anyone have any experience of using it as a
> way to offer extensibility to end users?

I don't think it is too late at all. I have had some set-backs
w.r.t. porting d-runtime, but there is nothing technical prevent
completion.

I have D running on cloudflare's edge network. They start up the
module on each request (in less than 1 ms), beating any
container/lambda thing I have seen.

You can easily creating bindings to wasm3, or wasmer, or
wasmtime, or any of the others, and host wasm code.

Or use them to run your D code on a large variety of platforms,
see https://github.com/wasm3/wasm3#status for a small list.

The cool part is that other people are figuring out compatibility
between all the languages that compile to wasm, and we just
piggyback on that because of LDC.