Bosque Programming Language

Mark smarksc at gmail.com
Sat May 16 04:06:15 UTC 2020

On Thursday, 14 May 2020 at 11:25:21 UTC, JN wrote:
> "The Bosque programming language is a breakthrough research
> project from Microsoft Research. Bosque simultaneously supports
> a high productivity development experience expected by modern
> cloud developers, coming from say a TypeScript/Node stack,
> while also providing a resource efficient and predictable
> runtime with a performance profile similar to a native C++
> application. Beyond supporting these, previously conflicting
> objectives in one language, Bosque also brings an unprecedented
> tooling ecosystem including zero-effort verification, symbolic
> testing, dependency management validation, time-travel
> debugging, and more."
>
> https://github.com/microsoft/BosqueLanguage/blob/master/README.md

Very interesting.

I like their idea of "typed strings", where the type is provided
by a regular expression or a formal language grammar. I always
wondered what would be the cost (in run time, compilation time,
debuggability, etc.) of including such info as part of the type
and is it worth the benefits to program correctness and clarity.
It's nice to see that someone is experimenting with that.