D mentioned on Rust discussions site

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Thu May 21 12:14:07 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 20 May 2020 at 20:10:27 UTC, Timon Gehr wrote:
> Personally I prefer the atmosphere of the D forums -- generally
> respectful and professional, but being respectful is not
> subordinate to being able to make technical points, passionate
> debate is allowed and you don't have to spend time deciphering
> criticism that is disguised as a compliment or wondering
> whether your point has been taken.

I've never seen folks on the Rust forums shy away from detailed
debate of technical points.

I do get that it's not nice to feel there are people looking over
your shoulder policing your tone, but in general, all the rules
come down to is "don't be a [TECHNICAL TERM]".  Which isn't
_that_ hard, and is something we all ought to aim for.

At the end of the day we're in a lucky position, because our
community is smaller and closer-knit, that we can get away
without much moderation.  Rust's forum rules are an inevitable
consequence of growth, and to a degree some of their growth may
have been made easier because they pro-actively enforced
standards of community behaviour from early on.