We need a community effort to maintain unmaintained dub packages, suggestions

mw mingwu at gmail.com
Sat May 23 19:12:14 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 23 May 2020 at 18:45:25 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
> On Saturday, 23 May 2020 at 17:27:15 UTC, mw wrote:
>> But for industry usage, there is another side of the story,
>> i.e accountability & company politics. The managers who can
>> make decisions (together with the consequent responsibility)
>> have to think about the worst scenario: what if the project
>> missed the deadline? or even fail? Will s/he *bet* his/her job
>> security or even career on a new language / library? Most
>> managers sure won't.
>
> Your run-of-the-mill manager would think like that, I guess.

your use of word are exactly right ... in supporting *my*
statement :-).
(I even don’t bother the personal attack in your words)

“run-of-the-mill”:    What does the idiom run of the mill mean?
run-of-the-mill. COMMON You use run-of-the-mill to describe
something or someone that is ordinary and not at all exciting.

Common means, say 80 ~ 90% of the managers
In contrast, extraordinary (tech-savvy) means 10% of the managers

And my original statement:

>> Will s/he *bet* his/her job security or even career on a new
>> language / library? Most managers sure won't.

Most == common == run-of-the-mill  :-)

But, are we betting on extraordinary managers to expanding the
adoption of D.

Probably we are, and that explains how much we have achieved
after 20 years of D.

And how much has the ordinary language like Java has achieved in
the past 20 years.
You want *popular* adopt, then you have to think about what those
“common” run-of-the-mill managers will choose :-)