We need a community effort to maintain unmaintained dub packages, suggestions

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Sun May 24 11:13:03 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 23 May 2020 at 19:12:14 UTC, mw wrote:
> On Saturday, 23 May 2020 at 18:45:25 UTC, Bastiaan Veelo wrote:
>> On Saturday, 23 May 2020 at 17:27:15 UTC, mw wrote:
>>> But for industry usage, there is another side of the story,
>>> i.e accountability & company politics. The managers who can
>>> make decisions (together with the consequent responsibility)
>>> have to think about the worst scenario: what if the project
>>> missed the deadline? or even fail? Will s/he *bet* his/her
>>> job security or even career on a new language / library? Most
>>> managers sure won't.
>>
>> Your run-of-the-mill manager would think like that, I guess.
>
> your use of word are exactly right ... in supporting *my*
> statement :-).

Indeed, I am supporting your statement.

> (I even don’t bother the personal attack in your words)

No attack intended!

> “run-of-the-mill”:    What does the idiom run of the mill mean?
> run-of-the-mill. COMMON You use run-of-the-mill to describe
> something or someone that is ordinary and not at all exciting.
>

> Common means, say 80 ~ 90% of the managers
> In contrast, extraordinary (tech-savvy) means 10% of the
> managers
>
> And my original statement:
>
>>> Will s/he *bet* his/her job security or even career on a new
>>> language / library? Most managers sure won't.
>
> Most == common == run-of-the-mill  :-)

Yes, that is what I mean. It is just my observation.

> But, are we betting on extraordinary managers to expanding the
> adoption of D.
>
> Probably we are, and that explains how much we have achieved
> after 20 years of D.

I don’t think there’s much betting being done around here. We
just gather around a shared treasure and each of us (individuals
and companies) invest in it as much as we can and want to. Would
it be cool if using D would be a no-brainer for every manager?
Probably, but getting there with volunteers only is unlikely.
Personally I am happy that D is still around even after 20 years,
so that I can use it professionally. And I made a considerable
investment to make it that way.

Some people are disappointed that D is not as widely adopted as
they would like it to be, and somehow feel the need to put the
blame somewhere. I don’t see the point in that, I’d say just use
it if you want to, and make it better if you want to.

Cheers, and welcome!

— Bastiaan.