We need a community effort to maintain unmaintained dub packages, suggestions

mw mingwu at gmail.com
Sun May 24 17:29:54 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 24 May 2020 at 06:57:01 UTC, Luis wrote:
> On Sunday, 24 May 2020 at 01:56:13 UTC, mw wrote:
>>
>> I would say libraries can make a language, or destroy one.
>>
>> Numpy has made Python’s fame. I think currently D is on the
>> other side of this spectrum (after 20 years).
>
> And Ruby had Rails...
>
> The question is... we have something with these potential to
> become popular ?

D is late in the game, but still have potentials because of D's
good performance and language features, e.g.

-- If vibe.d can catch up on the easy of use, and
fast-prototyping with Django, Rails (performance-wise, we have
trust in D), people may want to switch over to use it, after all
compiled language ensures type safety for web services.

-- maybe numD? numpy is great, but because of the Python
language's Global Interpreter Lock (GIL), people who want
parallel data processing can only run on separate tasks via
multiple processes, which sometimes is inconvenient when exchange
information via shared memory is needed. This problem is
*inherently unsolvable* in Python because of the GIL. If numD can
offer everything numpy has offered, and plus parallel processing
via multiple threads on multi-cores, it will have an edge.

-- the recent change @safe as default opt-in is good thing:
without a @nogc phobos, nobody is going to write @system level
software using D. I think this @safe change means the shift of
D's focus from system software to application software. And I'm
glad to see the the template project that dub generate starts
with "app.d", which is the right direction for D.

-- anyone have more ideas to throw in?