D mentioned on Rust discussions site

Ali Çehreli acehreli at yahoo.com
Mon May 25 08:48:33 UTC 2020

On 5/24/20 4:08 AM, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
> On Sunday, 24 May 2020 at 11:01:58 UTC, Les De Ridder wrote:
>>
>> C++ and D(asBetterC) are viable replacements in my experience. C++
>> explicitly has design goals like 'Leave no room for a lower level
>> language' and the zero-overhead principle. These generally apply to
>> DasBetterC too.
>>
>> Many would also argue that Rust and some newer languages like Zig fit
>> the bill too.
>
> Well the jury is still out on these. Until we see a real OS written in
> Rust or D or Zig - he proof is not in claims but in the doing.

It would be wasteful to write an OS to prove the claims. Unless there is
a technical impossibility, then it's doable.

Let's do it the other way: What proof there is for the claim that those
languages cannot be used for writing OSes? I know D enough to know that
it can be used to manage a CPU, send electrical signals to all the I/O
devices around it, etc.

Ali