D mentioned on Rust discussions site

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Mon May 25 08:58:32 UTC 2020

On Sunday, 24 May 2020 at 11:08:42 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar wrote:
> On Sunday, 24 May 2020 at 11:01:58 UTC, Les De Ridder wrote:
>>
>> C++ and D(asBetterC) are viable replacements in my experience.
>> C++
>> explicitly has design goals like 'Leave no room for a lower
>> level
>> language' and the zero-overhead principle. These generally
>> apply to
>> DasBetterC too.
>>
>> Many would also argue that Rust and some newer languages like
>> Zig fit
>> the bill too.
>
> Well the jury is still out on these. Until we see a real OS
> written in Rust or D or Zig - he proof is not in claims but in
> the doing.

The improvements that Microsoft has been doing to .NET out of
their Midori and .NET Native experience, alongside their recent
announcement at BUILD 2020 for first class support for Rust on
Windows, alongside Amazon, Oracle, Apple and Google's ongoing
adoption on their OS and cloud platforms, kind of prove the point
for me.

I occasionally still come over here due to the community, and
less so about D.