Chrome: 70% of all security related bugs are memory issues

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Mon May 25 17:38:13 UTC 2020

On Mon, May 25, 2020 at 05:48:59AM +0000, Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Sunday, 24 May 2020 at 14:38:54 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
[...]
> > Notable from the article is that both Microsoft and Google are
> > seriously looking into alternative programming languages.  I think
> > we're looking at the beginning of the end of the long reign of C/C++
> > in the programming landscape. Maybe in about 20-30 years' time C/C++
> > will become relics in the dustbin of history...
[...]
> It will still take ages, Google and Microsoft are also heavyweights on
> ISO C++, and collaborating on C++ lifetime analysis and C++ Core
> Guidelines.
>
> Hence Project Verona and Checked C from Microsoft as well.

Well OK, maybe 20-30 years is a bit optimistic.  But I think this is the
start of a general trend to gradually move away from C/C++ towards safer
and less painful languages to work with. The other big user of C++ I
know of is the game industry, and AFAICT the sentiment there is also
that C++ is merely a necessary evil, but they'd jump ship in a heartbeat
if a viable competitor comes along.

The diminished 7th chord is the most flexible and fear-instilling chord. Use it often, use it unsparingly, to subdue your listeners into submission!