Improving the D documentation web presentation

WebFreak001 d.forum at webfreak.org
Wed May 27 07:34:50 UTC 2020

On Monday, 25 May 2020 at 14:54:44 UTC, Paul Backus wrote:
> On Monday, 25 May 2020 at 13:56:10 UTC, WebFreak001 wrote:
>> as some of you might know, there are 2 versions of the
>> official phobos documentation:
> [...]
>> Move the search: the search at the top right is a google
>> search on all other D pages. On the ddox it's a quick and easy
>> to use search with a different functionality.
> [...]
>> Improve navigation: my biggest usability complaint with the
>> ddox API pages is that you have to navigate so much to look
>> through different symbols inside a module, compared to the
>> ddoc page.
> [...]
>> What is your thought on the current ddox and ddoc
>> documentation? Which one do you like and/or use more?
>
> IMHO, dpldocs.info is the only version that gets all of this
> right. Search easily accessible at the top of the page, module
> contents listed in a sidebar on the left, and detailed pages on
> each symbol for easy navigation and cross-referencing.
>
> Mostly I access it via duckduckgo's !dpldocs bang [1], which
> lets me type search queries directly into my browser's address
> bar, or a shell script I've bound to vim's `K` command (which
> looks up the identifier under the cursor). It's super
> convenient.
>
> [1] https://duckduckgo.com/bang

yep dpldocs is pretty good, we should really promote it, maybe as
a replacement to the current ddox one as it is quite similar.

Small things I think could be improved:
- show all overloads extended, or at least a list of method names
with types like in
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.diagnostics.process.start?view=netcore-3.1
- automatically collect all referenced functions (in the docs) in
the See_Also section - or can you think of a case where this is
undesirable?

Also do you think the const(char)[] might be confusing to
newcomers?