Greenwashing

Max Haughton maxhaton at gmail.com
Wed May 27 12:07:46 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, 27 May 2020 at 11:37:17 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> From https://www.investopedia.com/terms/g/greenwashing.asp, the
> top Google search result:
>
> Greenwashing is the process of conveying a false impression or
> providing misleading information about how a company's products
> are more environmentally sound. Greenwashing is considered an
> unsubstantiated claim to deceive consumers into believing that
> a company's products are environmentally friendly.
>
> Paraphrasing for our context:
>
> Greenwashing is the process of conveying a false impression or
> providing misleading information about how a codebase is more
> memory-safe. Greenwashing is considered an unsubstantiated
> claim to deceive readers into believing that a codebase is
> memory-safe.
>
> If this is greenwashing, then DIP 1028 is doing it.

I think you're right - unless D has a thorough, rigorously
specified static analysis this will be the case (At zero cost, at
least).

The current efforts to add that seem like they go in the right
direction, but I feel like they'll have to have a breaking
semantic/syntax change at some point (e.g. the way rust handles
references seems much more decidable).

FWIW: There's need to be a thorough design first, the current
approach to safety seems to spread among dmd like an octopuses
tentacles. However, talk is cheap so I'm not complaining about
what we have so far.